RSS

Dora Kuhn: Vintage German Bavarian Dollhouse Furniture

March 14

Dora Kuhn: Vintage German Bavarian Dollhouse FurnitureDora Kuhn is a German manufacturer of dollhouses and dollhouse furniture.  The have their own website, dora-kuhn.de, where you can see their current offerings, though it is in German.  But I’m finding that most dollhouse enthusiasts today, who are fans of Dora Kuhn, are searching for the vintage Bavarian style painted furniture that was made in the 1960’s.  Simply search for “Dora Kuhn” on Google and click Images and you will be met with a wide array of photos.I love the stuff because this is all right up my alley: painted, wooden, and German. Just the other week, I bought a little Dora Kuhn dollhouse cradle at a garage sale for 5¢, complete with sticker on the bottom:

Dora Kuhn2

Dora Kuhn3

It reminded me that I had other pieces elsewhere that I should try to dig out and research.  I easily tracked down a chest of drawers that is a little worse for wear, though maybe that means it’s older and more desirable 😉 :

Dora Kuhn1

I know I have an armoire and a bed somewhere, or maybe they just live in my imagination.

For my Garage Sale Recap post I wrote the week of finding the cradle, I found comparable sales of groupings of the dollhouse furniture on ebay which show you that the pieces are worth far more than 5¢:

Screen Shot 2013-03-04 at 7.00.31 PM Screen Shot 2013-03-04 at 7.00.12 PM

In my recollection, I have seen these collections go for far more than the market seems to be reflecting currently.  You can actually find pieces for a few dollars these days.  Then again, the larger, singular pieces can go for more:

Screen Shot 2013-03-13 at 11.27.53 AM

Screen Shot 2013-03-13 at 11.26.50 AM

I suppose it depends on the color, age, condition and detail of the painting, as it does with most collectibles. It is difficult to find out more information without digging through German websites, though pieces can be readily found on many auction sites.  Should you find any of the pieces for less than $10, you could likely resell if for at least double and probably more.  Or decorate your own Bavarian dollhouse or create a Bavarian window box of your own!

Posted by on March 14, 2013 in Bargain-Hunting, Dolls, Vintage

14 Comments

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 responses to “Dora Kuhn: Vintage German Bavarian Dollhouse Furniture

1. PATRICA niehoff

January 18, 2015 at 6:19 am

If you have a swiss chalet dollhouse for sale like fao scwartz version, please let me know. Had one as a child, but it was destroyed. Have dollhouse furniture, but not the dollhouse.

2. Catherine Oswald

June 26, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Can you bid or purchase some of this Bavarian furniture? I cannot get into the site to bid.

3. MissBargainHuntress

July 8, 2015 at 12:27 pm

You’d likely have to go on eBay and type in “Dora Kuhn” to bid on any furniture. You can also find pieces and sets by searching “Dora Kuhn” on Etsy. You can also find the same for sale on other websites by Googling “Dora Kuhn” and clicking on the “Shopping” or “Images” tabs at the top. Hope that helps!

4. Nannette Lateano

December 6, 2015 at 7:14 am

I have found the Dora Kuhn peasant dollhouse I think it’s the original one from the 50’s it doesn’t have the balcony or the flowers and no furniture. Just wondering what you think it is worth.

5. MissBargainHuntress

December 7, 2015 at 11:02 am

One recently sold for $700 and some are listed for over $1,000. It depends on the condition of the paint, etc., but without furniture/flowers, I would price it at around $500 if you were trying to sell it.

6. Michelle Hayes

January 7, 2016 at 10:59 am

I have a doll house with furniture. Could I take a pic and send it to you for a price? We lived in Germany in the mid 70’s and my parents bought the doll house for me. Thanks for any help! Michelle Hayes

7. MissBargainHuntress

January 7, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Sure, send to email MissBargainHuntress@gmail.com

8. Michelle Hayes

February 25, 2016 at 11:02 am

I sent you an email, did you get it?

9. MissBargainHuntress

February 25, 2016 at 5:31 pm

I responded to you yesterday.

10. Laura Kuhn

June 19, 2016 at 1:46 am

Hi Miss Bargain Huntress,
    I enjoyed your blog/article on the Dora Kuhn dollhouses & beautiful painted furniture. Thank you for writing it. I happened to run across your site while researching Dora Kuhn. Periodically I research on the web for information on the Dora Kuhn peasant dollhouse because I have been searching for one to purchase for years.

I had one as a child that was lost due to some unforeseen & unfortunate circumstances. The house I had was a Dora Kuhn 2-story house, Chalet Style, made in Germany & sold through FAO Schwarz. (Pictured above in the sample photos you provided: Fourth row from top, photo furthest to the right w/ chimney & shutters ). I believe my love for the Peasant dollhouse & darling painted furnishings comes from my Swedish & German heritage as well!

Please let me know if Ms. Hayes or anyone else wishes to sell a Dora Kuhn dollhouse. Like you, I have been able to buy some of the Dora Kuhn furniture @ estate sales so it is just waiting for a home to go into! :).
    P.S. – Coincidentally, my married last name is……..Kuhn!

11. Deborah Hutchinson

February 9, 2017 at 7:19 pm

I grew up in Aspen and we had a store here that sold this precious stuff. I have pieces ranging from teeny tiny to large enough for a small baby. I didn’t realize how collectable they are. Are the large pieces more rare? I haven’t seen very many of those. Will be following your blog and looking for more at my local consignment shops. How much fun this is going to be.
    Best, Deborah

12. MissBargainHuntress

February 11, 2017 at 9:39 am

Not sure that larger is better, but larger enough for a human baby I have never seen! I would love to see photos – MissBargainHuntress@gmail.com. Higher prices likely come with better quality painting, as well as sets of pieces. Please send photos!

13. Lynn

June 25, 2017 at 2:28 pm

I have a Bavarian style doll house with window boxes, curtains and furniture. It was purchased at a toy show in NYC in the 1950’s. it could be a Kuhn dollhouse. Trying to find out it’s worth because would like to sell for my granddaughters college fund. The red wooden roof comes off in two pieces to see and play in 2nd floor easier. Furniture is well made. Cradle has green and white checked stuffed comforter and pillow. A few dolls also included but not of the same era..,nevertheless German.

14. MissBargainHuntress

July 9, 2017 at 8:06 am

If it is Dora Kuhn, there is currently one house that is selling for $1,000.00 and one room for over $300 on Etsy. I would research “Dora Kuhn” on Google Shopping and Google Images to get an idea of current selling prices for furniture, houses, etc. Because sets of furniture generally sell for over $100 and houses are rare, the $1,000 price may be reasonable. I would try selling it on Etsy, you can always lower the price if it does not sell quickly. Estimate shipping at least at $25 if not more.